Friday 30 March 2012

Paul Booth Exhibition @ HR Giger Museum - Gruyeres 19.11.2011



                       H.R. Giger Museum is based in a beautiful medieval town of Gruyeres located on top of a hill at the foot of Swiss Alps. It’s quite easy to get there from Geneva Airport. Taking a train that describes an arc around northern shore of Lake Geneva will offer you some scenic views too. From the train station it’s a nice walk up and downhill... 

Museum showcases artist’s largest work collection consisting of his paintings, sculptures, film and furniture designs, dating from early 1960’s till the present day. 






             The top floor of the museum with stunning views of the whole town and surrounding landscape houses Giger’s private art collection that include remarkable pieces from Andre Lassen, Burland Francois, Joe Coleman, Rudolf Stussi, Martin Swarz, Steven Leyba and others.






The famous H.R. Giger Museum Bar is located in the adjoining wing of the museum complex. Its gloomy skeletal interior welcomes you into the new reality where biomechanical surrealism isn’t so surreal anymore… entering that place feels like walking into the masterpiece and living it for a moment. Just above there is Museum Gallery where Giger exhibits work of other artists on a regular basis.
But now some words on the reason why I was there in the first place: Paul Booth Art Exhibition.  Paul’s selection of work showcased for the first time in Switzerland presents an evolution of his artworks over past 10 years – in paint, mixed media and tattoo. And what an astonishing collection that is!



 “In my mid-teens, I spent countless hours obsessed with trying to understand and emulate Giger's art. His books were one of my greatest teachers of the few I had. I became lost in his dark surreal worlds, and not many since have been able to captivate my imagination with such unrelenting force. In my own way, I have always tried to do the same, as that to me is a crucial element to artistic expression. Giger is the reason that light and shade, dimension and texture have always been a major focus for me in my art- whether it be on canvas, skin, or otherwise. Now I find myself, 30 years later, honored to be showing my art in Giger's museum. I suppose I chose to treat this show somewhat as a timeline because it represents a culmination in my life’s work thus far. While it closes a circle for me historically, it simultaneously marks the beginning of an entirely new era as I can only evolve from this experience. I can't even imagine where I will go from here and I think that is what has me most excited.”




              I went there with high expectations and let me tell you, they were exceeded.
Even though I’ve seen most of the presented there pieces somewhere online it felt like I was watching them for the very first time. I was under the same impression while staring at Giger’s designs. We all know both artists’ works but… do we, really? This trip has taught me that you cannot truly appreciate nor experience the art until you’re facing it live.
            Nowadays real master pieces are being killed daily by pixels and brutally flattened by our glossy screens. Unspoken emotions painted between the brush strokes are being lost somewhere in the electronic transition. No photography, video of highest quality will ever do justice to the color, detail and texture that springs out of Booth’s work. Every line, shape, shade is carefully planned - his attention to details and use of lights and shadows is mind blowing.
Entering a room with his paintings hung on the walls is like joining this weird, evil ecosystem where your mind is being absorbed by the art you’re staring at.
It’s a controversial and a beautifully disturbing collection that changes the way you look at surrounding you world and brings back the eternal question: Who am I? And: Where am I going? 


“THE FOUNTAIN OF ALL INIQUITY - 24" x 30" - oils on canvas panel“, has been removed from the Museum due to political pressure from the Catholics.








          When asked about his art, Paul said: “I need to express myself. This is like a therapy to work out my frustrations”. He also mentioned that he doesn’t paint when he’s in a good mood.


               



                      The opening reception was a big success and turnout was pretty impressive. At some point the gallery became so crowded that it actually took a while before you could get to see some pieces. It’s amazing when in one room you can hear so many different languages, even though you might not understand the comments you can still recognize the excitement and admiration in visitor’s voices.

                       During this event I‘ve met many great people and also some interesting artists that are definitely worth checking out: Roxhell and Donatello from Crossbone Studio, Triggiano, Italy; Karol from Blackstar Studio, Warsaw, Poland; Rico Schinkel from Art & Tattoo Studio Z, Tønsberg, Norway and the next day, at the train station I run into Tye Harris from Austin, Texas, US who as well attended Paul’s exhibition. It’s always good to know that cultural tattoo world and inspiration seeking doesn’t end at the tattoo conventions.
I had also this great pleasure to meet Paul’s mum – Paula and daughter - Tabitha, such a lovely ladies.  Tabby is working on her solo music project and no surprise there - she also paints. You guys better remember that name – Tabitha, because I’m certain that we will be hearing more about her soon.


                   I felt truly blessed to be able to witness Paul Booth – Master of Macabre and Dark Arts meeting H.R. Giger – Master of Biomechanical Art and Fantastic Surrealism – who wouldn’t! Both artists in the same room at the same time and where… in Alien’s nest! This does not happen very often – in fact it doesn’t happen at all. It’s pretty incredible and I strongly believe this was one of the most important art and tattoo related events of the past decade! 

















                As a cherry on the top to make this day even more meaningful and unforgettable we could all watch extraordinary piece of art being created in front of our eyes by four extremely talented artists: Paul Booth, Filip Lau, Titine Lau and Sabine Gaffron. 


                  After a few hours of their collaborative work (musically accompanied by Ajja S.F. Leu) - ArtFusion Experiment’s baby was born.  Painting will remain in the museum for the duration of Paul’s exhibit – until March 2012. 



                     AFE is charitable and tattoo-centric art movement cofounded by Paul, Titine and Filip. It brings together artists from around the world in order to create something unique by combining each individual’s personal style while learning from each other at the same time.
Completed works are auctioned and proceeds go to local charities which support the arts for disadvantaged children.

              Those of you who wanted to visit Giger’s museum but hadn’t had a chance to do it – you couldn’t ask for better timing or motivation to go.

Plenty more photos from opening reception are here.

2 comments: